Winter Park Golf Course History
The Winter Park Golf Course re-opened to rave reviews after a 1.2 million dollar renovation project. The historic course, built in 1914, underwent some much needed repairs in 2016. New fairways, rough and greens, combined with a state of the art irrigation system and a re-design by Keith Rhebb and Riley Johns of Integrative Golf, brought this second oldest course in Orlando back to its glory days and turned it into a gem in Central Florida. So much so that The Golf Channel, and Golf Advisor, named it the 5th Best Short Course in the entire country. The course will also be featured in “The Finest Nines” a new book from Author Anthony Pioppi and Sky Horse Publications celebrating the best nine hole golf courses in North America scheduled for release in February.
The course itself is unique in many ways. It is a nine hole walking course topping out at around 2500 yards from the tips. Although there are a few electric carts available for senior and disabled players, most players prefer to take a pull cart and stroll the fairways while enjoying the surroundings. It is the true definition of urban golf as road traffic and the occasional train are very common sights during your round but seem to blend seamlessly with the majestic oaks, two churches and cemetery that also envelop the property. You will actually cross the street six times during your nine hole trek. The golf shop has a wide variety of merchandise to choose from as well as plenty of snacks and beverages for you to enjoy during or after your round.
In its first year after re-opening, the course launched the Winter Park City Amateur Golf Championship. In May, close to 60 golfers, young and old, participated in the inaugural event with a two round, 18 hole gross play competition. The response to the event was fantastic and will be a feather in the cap of the City for many years to come. The course also experienced a resurgence of glow golf by investing in the newest state of the art equipment to play golf at night. Private groups, non-profits and corporations hosted fundraisers, team building events and holiday parties under the stars at the course, offering their guests a unique experience in the heart of Winter Park. Night golf was so popular that the course started hosting Public Night Golf every Tuesday night from November through March.
The course is open every day except Christmas day and a few periodic maintenance days and starting times can be made up to three days in advance for the general public. Members can make starting times up to seven days in advance. Rates range from $13 to $21 per round, annual Memberships start at $900 and the course is available to rent for private events including Night Golf. For more information, contact the golf shop at 407-599-3419.
$900 – Winter Park Resident
- Greens fees
- 10% off proshop merchandise (excludes food & beverages)
- Calendar of events & activities
- 7-day advanced tee time booking
- Member keycard (must present prior to play)
- All general course rules apply.
- Payment due in advance. No refunds.
May through October
$13 – Winter Park Resident
- Friday-Sunday & Holidays
$16 – Winter Park Resident
November through April
$15 – Winter Park Resident
- Friday-Sunday & Holidays
$18 – Winter Park Resident
Replay rate: $9
Rental rates (per 9 Holes)
Pull cart: $3
Electric cart (must be 18+): $10 per person
Rental clubs: $10
Hours of Operation
(Hours coincide with daylight savings time)
Monday through Sunday
Mid March through early November: 6:30 a.m to 6:30 p.m.
Early November through mid March: 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed on Christmas Day and on scheduled Maintenance Days (Mondays)
Please call the Golf Shop for additional information at 407-599-3419.
Anthony Buttvick Bio
Graduated from Golf Academy of America in 1998 with a degree in Business Management with an emphasis in Golf Course Management.
Swing instructor and Coach for 1999 and 2000 Byron High School Golf Team. Placed 7th in State Tournament in 1999 and 3rd place in 2000. Swing Instructor for 1st place in state Individual in 2000. Four out of Five players on the 2000 3rd place team, played college golf earning All American status. One of the players just received his playing card to play on the PGA Latino/Americano Tour.
- 2002 Oviedo High School Golf Coach
- Director of Golf/Lead Golf Instructor Twin Rivers Golf Club
- Golf Instructor Eagle Creek Golf Club
- Head Golf Professional/Lead Golf Instructor Remington Golf Club
- Golf Instructor Henry Brunton Golf Academy at Eagle Creek Golf Club
- Golf Instructor Winter Park Golf Course
- The Winter Park Nine is Truly Devine – Golf Central Magazine (May 2019)
- The Winter Park Nine is Truly Devine – GoGolfandTravel.com (May 2019)
- Winter Park’s Success Story – SCOREGolf (March 24, 2019)
- Three MacKenzies in the Moonlight – MacKenzie Golf Bags (February 5, 2019)
- Glowing review: Winter Park night golf a surprising treat – Golfweek (February 3, 2019)
- Winter Park Golf Course: Pure Fun – G&E Magazine (February 2, 2019)
- My year in golf: Finding the fun in non-traditional courses – Golfweek (December 30, 2018)
- Orange Observer A four-member maintenance crew helps the Winter Park Golf Course remain one of the nicest nine hole courses in the country. (November 2, 2018)
- Golf Digest Top 25 Courses where you get the best Bang for your Buck (November 1, 2018)
- The Florida Project: Coore & Crenshaw (October 31, 2018)
- Matt Ginella previews Golf Advisor’s feature on golf courses near cemeteries – Halloween Segment (October 31, 2018)
- LINKS Magazine Our favorite 9-hole golf courses in the country (October 22, 2018)
- Golf Channel Morning Drive Summer Swing Florida (September 18, 2018)
- LINKS Magazine Winter Park: A look at golf’s future? (September 6, 2018)
- News Channel 6 Justin Warmoth’s favorite places to play golf in Orlando area. (July 27, 2018)
- Jay Revel Hiding in the Sunshine: Orlando’s Golf Gems (July 2, 2018)
- Hiding in the Sunshine: Orlando’s Golf Gems (June 14, 2018)
- Morri: C’mon Councils, Show Some Courage (May 24, 2018)
- Ep. 95: Talking Community Golf, from Florida to California (March 29, 2018)
- Winter wonderland: Discovering the transportive powers of the nine-hole public course in Winter Park, Fla. (March 16, 2018)
- WESH 2 Interview with Golf Course Designers Keith Rhebb and Riley Johns (February 9, 2018)
- Florida’s Winter Park 9 is golf freedom in the confines of a city grid (February 6, 2018)
- A Tipping Point? (January 29, 2018)
- Our Favorite 9-Hole Golf Courses in the Country (December 27, 2017)
- Winter Park Golf Course: Municipal Golf of the Future (February 20, 2017)
- Always Time For Nine series: Winter Park Golf Course (January 10, 2017)
- The renovation of Winter Park Country Club by Golf Channel (November 29, 2016)
- Winter Park Celebrates Veterans With Celebration And Golf Play Day (November 11, 2016)
- WPGC recommended as “Places to Play” by Golf Channel (November, 2016)
- Defining “Good Golf Course Architecture” (October 20, 2016)
- Golf Advisor names Top 10 nationwide short courses (September 11, 2015)
Grand Reopening Media Coverage
- Winter Park Magazine (Fall 2016)
- The Golf Wire (September 27, 2016)
- eSouthernGOLF.com (September 12, 2016)
- Golf Course Architecture (September 7, 2016)
- The Golf Wire (September 2, 2016)