The Electric Utility Department began serving retail electric customers on June 1, 2005, as the City of Winter Park established its own municipal electric utility.
In a referendum election of September 9, 2003, the citizens of Winter Park voted overwhelmingly to exercise the buy-out option in the city’s franchise agreement with Progress Energy Florida and to have the city own and operate its own utility.
To facilitate this transition, the city has built two electric substations and purchased Progress Energy Florida’s electric distribution facilities within the city. The City has established the customer service, meter reading, billing, vegetation management and all the policies and procedures necessary to operate a utility.
The city has committed to its future customers that it will undertake a strong program to improve the reliability of electric service. This will include, but not be limited, to putting a significant portion of the power lines underground.
Save energy. Save money. Adjust your thermostat.
There are many inexpensive ways to conserve energy. Small adjustments to your day-to-day habits can create an immediate change in your monthly utility bill.
The most cost-savings adjustment you can make is during the day when you are not home. If you turn down your heat to 68°F during the winter and turn your air conditioner (A/C) up to 82°F in the summer by installing a programmable thermostat, you can save on average $180 a year on your utility bill. A/C usage accounts for over half of the average home’s utility expense and by turning your thermostat back 10-15°F for eight hours per day can save you five to 15 percent a year on your heating bill.
Electric Utility Information
- Electric Service Policies
- Electric Underground Map
- Electric Undergrounding Plan Presentation (presented to City Commission on June 25, 2007)
- Electric Utility 10th Anniversary PowerPoint (June 1, 2015)
- Emergency Utility Assistance Program & Donation Form
- Energy Conservation Rebate and Incentive Program
- Fairbanks Avenue Improvement Project
- Electric Rate Study (May 11, 2009)
- Florida Municipal Power Association
- Home Energy Saver Calculator
- Surge Protection & Home Wire Enrollment Form
- Home Wiring Repair Deluxe Brochure – Terms & Conditions
- Home Wiring Repair Service Brochure – Terms & Conditions
- Surge Protection Brochure – Terms & Conditions