The City of Winter Park is thrilled to start its next chapter with the building of a new 21st century, state-of-the-art library & events center for the community. In March 2016, voters approved the issuance of a $30 million bond referendum to finance the cost to construct this new facility.
April 24, 2017 marked the official start of the next chapter with the Mayor and City Commission approving the execution of its architectural contract. Winter Park is honored to partner with the world-class organizations below as we begin our #nextchapterwp.
- Winter Park Canopy Highlights (October 17, 2018)
- Information Sheet (September 26, 2018)
- Conditional Use Approval – City Commission agenda item (approved September 24, 2018)
- Schematic Design & Renderings (April 9, 2018)
- Branding Presentation to the City Commission (April 9, 2018)
- Branding Presentation to the City Commission (March 26, 2018)
- Conceptual Designs – Renderings (November 1, 2017)
- Sir David Adjaye’s Conceptual Design Presentation (November 1, 2017)
- Adjaye Associates Unveils Proposal for Winter Park Library and Event Center in Florida – Arch2o.com (November 16, 2017)
- Adjaye Associates Reveals Design of Winter Park Library and Events Center in Florida – ArchiECHO.com (November 16, 2017)
- Winter Park City Commission approves conceptual design for new library/event center – Winter Park/Maitland Observer (November 14, 2017)
- Adjaye Associates Reveals Design of Winter Park Library and Events Center in Florida – Archdaily.com (November 15, 2017)
- Adjaye unveils £23m Florida library vision – Architects Journal UK (November 14, 2017)
- David Adjaye unveils approved design for new public library and events center in Florida – Designboom.com (November 14, 2017)
- Press Release – Winter Park approves Adjaye Associates’ Design for New Library and Events Center (November 14, 2017)
- David Adjaye reveals ‘sweeping’ Winter Park Library design – The Architect’s Newspaper (November 2, 2017)
- Plans unveiled for Winter Park’s new library – Bungalower (November 2, 2017)
- Conceptual designs unveiled for new Winter Park library/civic center – West Orange Times & Windermere Observer (November 1, 2017)
- Conceptual design of Winter Park library released – Fox 35 Orlando (November 1, 2017)
- Renowned architect unveils ‘world class’ design for Winter Park library – Orlando Sentinel (November 1, 2017)
- Media Alert – Sir David Adjaye to present conceptual designs for new library & events center (October 31, 2017)
- Press Release – Conceptual design to be presented (October 17, 2017)
- Audio interview with Sir David Adjaye conducted by Winter Park/Maitland Observer (June 20, 2017)
- Press Release – Design architect David Adjaye to hold public dialogue for new library & events center (June 6, 2016)
- Adjaye wins Florida library commission – Building Design (May 5, 2017)
- Adjaye Associates to design new library in suburb of Orlando, Florida – The Architect’s Newspaper (May 2, 2017)
- Acclaimed architect chosen to design new Winter Park library and civic center – Orlando Rising (April 28, 2017)
- Press Release – Next chapter begins for city’s new library & events center with design led by Adjaye Associates (April 27, 2017)
“The new Winter Park library & events center will be a true community asset. We look forward to delivering an outstanding facility that will meet the needs of Winter Park residents for many years to come.” – Joel S. Pizzuti, president
“The HuntonBrady/Adjaye Associates architects’ team is thrilled and ready to collaborate with the City of Winter Park and The Pizzuti Companies on the library & events center project. We are committed to make the design of this very significant new addition to our community a success.” – Maurizio J. Maso, AIA, vice president
The people that make up HuntonBrady are among the most talented and passionate professionals in the industry. Their diverse experience and wealth of insight adds an invaluable element to every project and directly contributes to its influence as a ‘thought design’ firm. Today, HuntonBrady buildings are part of the landscape of Florida. Its projects are planned with rigor and logic, while also integrating thoughtful and responsive design that conveys life and purpose. To work with HuntonBrady is to experience innovation in architecture, to witness a passion for design, and to become a partner for success. Of everything HuntonBrady has ever built, its most treasured creation is excellence.
“Winter Park’s vision for this project truly embraces the continued evolution of the library in the 21st century. With a diverse program that recognizes it as a critical piece of cultural infrastructure, this will be a dynamic space for shared education, recreation and interaction. I am thrilled to be working with the city on a design that I hope can become a true beacon for its neighborhood, with resonance for the entire community.” – David Adjaye, founder and principal
Completed works include: the regenerative Morning Lane Arches retail corridor in Hackney, London (2016); Sugar Hill museum and housing development in Harlem, New York (2015); the Aishti Foundation arts and shopping complex in Beirut, Lebanon (2015); Alara Concept Store in Lagos, Nigeria (2014); Marian Goodman Gallery, London (2014); two neighborhood libraries in Washington DC (2012); the Moscow School of Management SKOLKOVO (2010), the Stephen Lawrence Centre in London (2007); the Museum of Contemporary Art in Denver (2007); Rivington Place Gallery in London (2007); The Nobel Peace Centre in Oslo (2005); and the Idea Stores in Tower Hamlets, London (2004 and 2005) – two pioneering community libraries in London’s Tower Hamlets.
Some current projects include: One Berkeley Street, a £600 million mixed-use residential redevelopment in London’s prestigious Piccadilly area; the master plan for San Francisco Shipyard, one of the most substantial urban development schemes on the West Coast of the United States; a new home for The Studio Museum in Harlem, New York; offices for the International Financial Corporation in Dakar, Senegal; and a substantial residential mixed-use scheme adjacent to London’s Traflagar Square.
“This is the true beginning to our next chapter. With the team’s incredible talents at work, we are confident that the new library and events center will be one of Winter Park’s premier locations for education, business support and community collaboration.” – Shawn Shaffer, executive director