Through partnerships and collaboration, the City of Winter Park’s Sustainability Program provides management, development and monitoring of the city’s Sustainability Action Plan addressing waste diversion and recycling, green building, energy efficiency, renewable energy, mobility and urban form, community engagement and green economy, natural systems and resources, local food production and local government operations.
SP also manages the city’s Solid Waste Collection and Keep Winter Park Beautiful while serving as liaison to the city’s Keep Winter Park Beautiful & Sustainable advisory Board.
On January 14, 2008, City Commission passed a resolution stating the City would pursue measures to become a certified Green Local Government through the Florida Green Building Coalition (FGBC). In 2009, Public Works Director Troy Attaway hired a sustainability coordinator to manage the city’s sustainability efforts and to develop a plan for achieving the certification. In 2011, after working with each department on a multitude of new projects, policies and programs, the City was officially certified as a Green Local Government at the Gold level also earning the highest score for local government that year.
To review the city’s final Green Local Government Scorecard, please download the Excel file.
Highlights and accomplishments to date include
- Green Building Resolution Adopting USGBC’s LEED standards for all future city owned buildings (passed 2011)
- Building of the Winter Park Community Center, the first city owned building to meet LEED specifications (2011)
- Retrofit of City Hall and other city owned buildings to reduce energy usage thanks the U.S. Department of Energy’s Energy Efficiency & Conservation Block Grant (EECBG) and Florida Energy & Climate Grant (completed 2012)
- Single stream recycling provided to residents, business and in public spaces through WASTE PRO (2009)
- Complete Streets Resolution stating all future city road projects be designed to accommodate all modes of transportation equally (passed 2011)
- Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Policy (2010)
- Neighborhood Greenspace Grants for Community Gardening and Native Landscaping (Keep Winter Park Beautiful)
- Installation of public ChargePoint Electric Vehicle Charging Stations (2012)
- Electric Utility Commercial and Residential Energy Conservation Audit & Rebate Program (2012)
- Water & Wastewater Utility Audit & Rebate Program
- Volunteer Environmental Cleanups and Tree Planting
- Tree City USA Designation
- Annual Earth Day & Arbor Day Tree Giveaway
Sustainability Workshop Series
Energy Efficiency Workshops
Learn how to save money on your next utility bill and qualify for possible free home upgrades!
Must meet the following requirements to register and be eligible for free upgrades:
- City of Winter Park Utility Customer.
- Annual Household Income shall not exceed $25,000.00.
Must attend one of the dates below to learn more:
- Thursday, December 4, 2014 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 6, 2015 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Thursday, January 22, 2015 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, February 5, 2015 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Thursday, February 19, 2015 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Light refreshments will be served.