Standard Demolition Procedures
- An applicant desiring to demolish a building must first come to the Building & Permitting Services Department at 401 South Park Avenue, complete an application and acknowledge that they intend to demolish or partially demolish a building. The applicant shall also provide a notarized letter from the property owner of record acknowledging the home is to be demolished, the property is vacant, and the utilities are to be disconnected. Once a permit number has been assigned, the Code Compliance Division shall be copied.
- At the time of application a poster is prepared with information as required in the City Demolition Posting Ordinance 2386.
- The applicant receives the poster and must post it on the front of the building to be demolished so as to be easily readable from the street. This will create a inspection of the property by staff to verify the posting of the property including photo documentation of the date and time of posting.
- The applicant may proceed with the normal process obtaining for utility disconnects from City Utilities and others.
- After all utility sign offs (including verification of non-historic designation), and provision of any other required information (rodent letter, asbestos removal) and after posting building for 30 days, then the permit may be issued. Verification of 30-day posting must be indicated on the application. Exemptions from posting for commercial buildings or unsafe structures will be considered on a case by case basis.
- All shade trees over 9″ in diameter on the property must be protected with approved tree protection barrier. Contact Urban Forestry Division at 407-599-3325 for detailed information on tree protection barrier. Sites without trees may omit this requirement.
Installing Filter Fabric Silt Fence
Demolition Inspections Checklist
Pre-Demolition and Engineering Inspections are required prior to permitting.
- Permit application in process.
- Protection of adjacent properties provided.
- Silt fence provided for erosion control and stormwater drainage protection.
- Walkways, fences, protective coverings. (Certain commercial and multi-family projects).
- Other means of protection as needed (storm drain inlets, trees, etc.)
- Condition of adjacent sidewalks, streets and properties observed.
- Temporary sanitary facilities. (May be required for longer projects)
- Method and control of dust provided. (Fire hydrant or construction meter required) WP Addendum
- Asbestos removal method in compliance. (When applicable)
- All utilities properly disconnected and capped.
- Before disconnecting any Fire Protection Systems, call the Winter Park Fire-Rescue Department at 407-599-3260.
Engineering Demolition Inspection Checklist & Guidelines
Call to Request Inspections
Code Compliance: 407-599-3290
Post Demolition Checklist
- All demolition work complete (Appendix D).
- Site clear of all demolition materials and debris. Asbestos removal in compliance, when applicable. (SBC 3303)
- Surface holes, wells, septic tanks, etc., filled. (Appendix D)
- Walkways, fences & protective coverings in place. (SBC 3305)
- Lot graded to prevent erosion and retain water on lot.
- Clean up condition of, sidewalks, streets adjacent properties approved.
- Permit posted.